Thursday, September 12, 2013

STUFF SINGLE PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF HEARING



Semi-recently, Buzzfeed posted a delightful article entitled 24 Things Single People Are Tired of Hearing and as a single person, I could not agree more!

The ones that especially hit home for me:

#1) “…You’re so great”
I love my friends and I know they love me which is why they would say something like that, meaning for it to be a compliment but in reality makes me check myself. While I don’t think I’m “so great”, I’d say overall I am a fairly nice, normal person with strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else. Which doesn’t make me feel any better; if I’m “so great” why am I still single? Yet, if I’m nice and normal, again, why am I still single?

#6) “You should try online dating…”
After me being stuck in a rut a few years ago, my best friend suggested that I should give online dating a go. This past spring, when I actually dipped my toe in the ocean of online-dating, she seemed surprised. She explained to me that she meant for me to try it if I was “thirty and had no prospects”. Ah, so it was meant to be a last resort.

#11) “…You’ll wish you were single”
While most of my friends are not married (a few are, with some who are engaged or soon-to-be engaged), I tend to hear a lot of “I wish I were single” comments from my attached friends. Relationships can be stressful, but this statement is somewhat ludicrous. This statement usually comes from the trapeze daters, too. I’ve been in relationships of varied lengths of time and I’ve been single at varied lengths of time as well. There was only one instance where I wish I was single and that was because the guy was psycho.

#13) “You’re too picky”
My standards are not abnormally high or low. I won’t bore you with the details of criteria in my “ideal guy” or whatever, because when it comes down to it, chemistry (both physical and emotional) is what matters. I just happen to not have chemistry with THAT many people, although I have dated guys that I didn’t have very strong chemistry with and it didn’t last.

Ah, my post got a bit rant-y. To sum things up, I appreciate what my friends try to do for me and my single self. I get that it’s hard to relate to someone who is single when you are in a different situation. Can’t speak for all singletons out there, but all I really need is for them to let me vent, and maybe swap stories with, then go about our day.

1 comment:

  1. My least favorite comment is when coupled people (especially those who have been in relationships FOREVER) give me cliche advice, or tell me how I should handle a dating issue from a smug and secure perspective. It's easy to give people advice that you never have to follow!

    ReplyDelete